Saturday 30 March 2013

Is this A Dangerous Precedent ?

I really cannot tell whether suspending paediatric cardiac operations at Leeds General Infirmary was the right or wrong thing to do - I just do not have the facts to make a judgement .
What I can tell for sure is that Sirs Bruce Keogh and Roger Boyle, both of whom I know and greatly respect, have set a precedent on how to deal with adverse surgical outcomes.
From April 1st,  Bruce Keogh promised that outcomes of a number of surgical procedures performed in England will be published. There will be surgeons and units with mortality rates that are double the national average.
Are we therefore going to see a whole host of closures and investigations started before the month of April is up?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I AM SURE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE JUST READ, SO PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!